Abigail Hilton's Reviews > The Long Earth

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett

Oct 11, 2012

Read in October, 2012

The Long Earth is an apocalypse story (without horror), combined with a traveling adventure. I loved it! I loved the idea of the Long Earth and the welter of fascinating worlds and concepts that came with it. I loved it, even though I could not discern a clear plot for the first half of the book. Even three quarters of the way through, I was a little shaky on plot, but I still found it thoroughly enjoyable.

There were some lose ends that didn’t tie up very well, and the ultimate conclusion felt abrupt. In addition, there was obviously some sort of post-Christian/ Buddhist/ Hindu myth going on. It was clear enough to be distracting, but not coherent enough to mean anything (that I could discern, anyway). These are flaws, but not big ones.

My only other complaint was the apparent age of the two main human characters (at least, the two who become the main characters towards the end of the book). They’re supposed to be in their late twenties/early thirties, but everything about them – their reactions, their emotions, the way they talk, their decisions – it all screams teenagers. I suspect that they were written as teens, and an editor decided that they needed to be adults for marketing reasons. The mismatch of their behavior with their supposed ages broke my suspension of disbelief in places.

Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It’s a great audio book for a long car ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Earth.