Julia's Reviews > Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond

Into the Woods by Kim Harrison

Oct 11, 12

bookshelves: fiction, urban, fantasy
Read from October 11 to 12, 2012

I came late to the party with short stories, and Kim Harrison is one of the authors that turned my reluctance into eager anticipation. As someone with a hardback copy of each of the Rachel Morgan books, INTO THE WOODS offers me the opportunity to collect some old favorites as well as add some new ones. Harrison's shorts are windows into a world so rich the characters and stories spill out of the full length narratives, though reading them always makes me long for a re-read. Above and beyond my urge to go back to WHITE WITCH, BLACK CURSE or A FISTFUL OF CHARMS, getting precious glimpses of Al's inner thoughts, of Rachel's early days, or of Kisten so heartbreakingly alive makes INTO THE WOODS a treasure in it's own right.

Harrison offers a batch of new fiction to balance out The Hollows stories. I had never read Al and Ceri's first meeting, MILLION DOLLAR BABY gives us a glimpse of Trent and Jenk's side adventure, and the entire second half of the book is a slew of new worlds and intriguing characters from Harrison's writing past. Full of familiar faces and new possibilities, INTO THE BOOKS is a great read.

Full review to follow.

Sexual Content: Sex scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Woods.