Loren's Reviews > California Missions and Presidios: The History and Beauty of the Spanish Missions

California Missions and Presidios by Randy Leffingwell

Oct 11, 12

bookshelves: cemetery-books
Read in October, 2012

I've been curious how many of the old Spanish missions still have their original graveyards. This book provided some guidance through its photographs (because, let's face it, old graves are picturesque), but for the most part, the graveyards didn't rate much mention in the text. My search will have to continue.

That said, the photographs in this book are really lovely. They capture the interiors of the old churches and the details of their decorations. Sunlight paints the rooms. Outside, the skies are always the luminous Californian blue. Flowers nod and trees drowse and things seem very peaceful. Where appropriate, the museums or recreated cells of the padres are staged as carefully as a photo shoot. This book, whether a spur to exploring California's Spanish -- and Mexican -- history or as a souvenir after such a trip, is beautiful to page through.

It falls down in the text, unfortunately, The same details are repeated over and over: the fathers select the mission site. The natives help build a church. It floods. There's an earthquake or a fire. The soldiers molest the natives. There's an uprising. Spain hands the missions over to Mexico, who doesn't want the bother. The missions are sold, then mistreated, then almost destroyed. Rinse, repeat. There's really little point in reading the whole book cover to cover, as I did, because the story is the same every time.

I would have liked to know more about the native tribes and what they lost. I would have liked to know more about daily life in the missions. I would have liked to know more about those mission churchyards and who is buried there. Who marked their graves and why? How many forgotten Native Americans lie there and what's been done to perpetuate their memory?

There's still room for a definitive guide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read California Missions and Presidios.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael Fierce (new)

Michael Fierce I've realized you are one of the best reviewers here on Goodreads and will need to read more of them.

Loren Michael wrote: "I've realized you are one of the best reviewers here on Goodreads and will need to read more of them."

message 3: by Michael Fierce (new)

Michael Fierce Loren wrote: "Michael wrote: "I've realized you are one of the best reviewers here on Goodreads and will need to read more of them."

Thanks, Michael! I've been off Goodreads in November doing Nanowrimo, but now I've got some books to catch up on. "

Don't we all!

message 4: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin I have been to several Missions, especially around San Diego. I do not recall any of they having a cemetery, now that I think of it. Now, Mission Delores, in San Fran-has the only graveyard left in the city. All the rest in Colma. That place is amazing. One burial place-the inscription just made me cry. The Mission Church is so lovely. Then you walk into the Basilica ,and it wows you in a whole different way. If you have not been, I can email you the picture the inscription I mentioned.

message 5: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin My husband just corrected me-via his vast photos he takes on the trips. Three did have cemeteries-one still being used- Pala. Another, the cemetery had closed to visitors for the day, but the crypt was available for viewing, and the third was more modest. So I stand most corrected. If you would like any images, please email me.