Lobstergirl's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Jan 07, 10

bookshelves: own, read-more-than-once, fiction
Recommended for: Strobe Talbott
Read in January, 2010, read count: 2

This is just a rollicking good yarn, no two ways about it. It will make you chortle like a drunken buffoon, and sob like a forlorn sissy. And sob you will, even though you read it long ago (before you developed emotions, apparently) and have seen the movie multiple times. It is that grievous. (See how I'm using the second person to distance myself a little from forlorn sissies?) You were just looking for a little escapism, and here you find yourself reading something on a par with King Lear, or the book of Job. Mitchell creates unforgettable and complex characters; she writes with great humor and her writing is occasionally quite good; and you just have to give her props for sheer bulk, typing this whole thing out on a Remington manual over five years and sticking with it.

If there's one thing that makes a reader uneasy, it's wondering how slippery she's being with historical truth, and if she's writing unrealistic things, should this bother you? It is fiction, after all. You need to read some history on the postwar era to find out, e.g., how many slaves - now that they were free to go - decided to stick around with their masters like Mammy, Pork, Dilcey, Peter, and Prissy do (and they wouldn't have it any other way, being bosom buddies and all). And how much the creation of the Ku Klux Klan was prompted by freed slaves raping white women. Beyond possibly being slippery with historical facts, there are passages from the omniscient narrator about negroes being like small children, or monkeys, and constant discussion of niggers, darkies, and pickaninnies, which you are not sure how to process. You might give that some more thought once you have finished weeping.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

Quotes Lobstergirl Liked

Margaret Mitchell
“Crackers are short on sparkle.”
Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind

12/21/2009 page 133
12/22/2009 page 224
21.88% "Ashley mourns the loss of the South as a place of fragrant magnolias, King Cotton, and darkies cheerfully tending the fields."
01/05/2010 page 574
56.05% "Scarlett goes desperate and horny-handed to the jail."
01/06/2010 page 695
67.87% "Ashley confronts his homosexual feelings."
01/06/2010 page 708
69.14% "Crackers are short on sparkle." 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Ellen I mulled over the Princeton Theological Seminary, but then thought naaah...:)

ღ Carol jinx~☆~ Only 4 stars? I would give it 6 if they were available. It is one of my favorite books and have read it at least 5 times. And the movie.. well I can't count.

Lobstergirl Ellen wrote: "I mulled over the Princeton Theological Seminary, but then thought naaah...:)"

Does seem unlikely.

Lobstergirl Carol wrote: "Only 4 stars? I would give it 6 if they were available. It is one of my favorite books and have read it at least 5 times. And the movie.. well I can't count. "

Well, I consider 4 stars a high rating. 4 stars means I quite enjoyed a book. But I can't give it 5 stars because while it's a great epic story, the writing isn't consistently good throughout and I just have to downgrade for all the rosy talk about the darkies. There isn't one unhappy darky in the book, at least not yet.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I would also give it more stars. One of my very favorite books. I am so sad to be off line now. sigh.......miss you all......