Lisa's Reviews > Maiden's Veil

F 50x66
Oct 29, 12

bookshelves: 2012, book-club
Read from October 11 to 15, 2012

Jessamine is an American textiles buyer who impulsively quits her job while at a conference in London. She decides she wants to travel to the historical textiles communities of Britain in the hope of sparking her own creativity. When her car breaks down, leaving her stranded in the small village of Maidenvale she becomes interested in the village’s Pagan past, and resurrects a long-abandoned ceremony.

Her story is interwoven with that of Clarinda, a resident of the village who lived some three hundred years earlier, and who was Maidenvale’s last Maid of the Veil.

The two women have much in common, but will they share the same fate?
It’s hard, I think, to write two parallel stories in alternating chapters and make them equally compelling. In my reading experience, it’s not uncommon for me to be interested in only one of the stories and find the other to be…page filler (for want of a better phrase). Lisa has done an amazing job of investing the reader in both women’s stories; I looked forward to each and every chapter of the book. And I was sorry when the novel ended.

I appreciated the historical detail and the lush descriptions of the village and its surrounding forests and greens. Lisa Costantino is a writer who will be on my radar—I look forward to reading her next novel!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maiden's Veil.