Becky {Somewhere Between The Pages}'s Reviews > Arcadia Awakens

Arcadia Awakens by Kai Meyer

Oct 29, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, 2-stars, fantasy-or-urban-fantasy, purchased
Read in October, 2012, read count: 1

I don't even know what to say about this book, to be perfectly honest. Don't get me wrong, if you're a fan of shapeshifting families descended from sketchy Greek mythology that belong to the Mafia, you'll probably enjoy this book. But believe me, that sounds a hell of a lot more interesting that it actually is. I was in a perpetual state of confusion throughout this novel, and I had to flick back more than once to see if I'd missed something. I don't know whether some things got lost in translation, but it seemed as though Meyer skipped over a lot of information that would have helped me better understand the world he had tried to create, and instead spent his time unnecessarily writing about what everyone was wearing, and how skinny Rosa is.

Which brings me to the characters. Rosa Alcantara, our leading lady, made me want to stab myself in the eye with a rusty knife (cringe!). This girl has a major attitude problem, and the further through the book I got, the more I decided she had absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I think the only emotion she ever felt strongly was anger, and even then it was flat and had no realism behind it. Alessandro, too, was so 2D that if you turned him to the side, he'd disappear from view completely. His passion to avenge his mother wasn't realistic in the slightest, and I'm pretty sure the only thing the boy had going for him was his looks. Yeah, because that doesn't sound familiar! I really don't know what to say about the relationship between the two, other than that it was predictable, boring, and downright unrealistic. I'm so tired of authors trying - and failing - to write the kind of turbulent relationship that would rarely ever work in real life.

To be perfectly honest with you, I think this story would have made about as much sense to me had I read it in German. There seemed to be a lot of jumps and unnecessary scenes that didn't serve any kind of purpose, and only succeeded in confusing me more. I hate that I have to rate this book so low, but it didn't interest me in the slightest. I can't believe I even finished it, to be honest.

For more reviews, check out my blog at Somewhere Between The Pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcadia Awakens.