Conner Rodriguez's Reviews > We Beat the Street: How a Friendship Pact Led to Success

We Beat the Street by Sampson Davis

Author:Sampson Davis,George Jenkins, Sharon M.Draper,Rameck Draper
Date:10/11/12
Period:4
Name:Conner Rodriguez

Passage: Now a days kids all over the world are starting to do drugs at a very early age. I have always been curios how these kids are getting into these horrible habits. That's why I chose the book "We Beat The Streets"; this particular novel is about three poor teenagers who meet in high school. They eventually become best friends, and make a pact about graduating high school without doing drugs or participating in illegal activities. My favorite quote in the book was"Kids learned early that walking with an air of being in control was necessary for survival." I really like this saying because it, from my point of view, tells the reader that he or she must stand up for him/herself to survive in in the world. I really enjoyed reading from the writers point of view because he relays an important message to his readers, which is although there is much temptation to not do so, it is possible to avoid being a part of the life and eventual consequences of drugs. He says that good technique to evade doing drugs is to make a promise to yourself and authors to not do them. He says this type of commitment isn't one you have to go through alone because you'll have others with you to encourage you to carry on with it. So all-in-all, yes, I would recommend this book to someone because I would like people to know the conseuqnces of doing drugs and hoq it will bring them nothing but trouble. I would recommend this book to 7th graders because i believe it has an important message that people should learn at a young age. I truly do think, that by teaching the lesson of avoiding drugs later in life will spare you a lot of pain, to a younger age qroup will help reduce the number of teens who participate in this dangerous habit in the future.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Beat the Street.