Linmo's Reviews > Homeless Bird

Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan

U_50x66
Jan 16, 09

Read in January, 2009

Explanation of Rating: Generally, I liked the plot of the story that described about a young widow who was abandoned by her mother-in-law. The plot attracted me because I could not expect what would happen to her next. In fact, I was interested in her life before she became a widow, because I could learn about Indian weddings and different livelihoods in India. However, learning about her life after she became a widow was also a great way to learn about India and worthwhile to read.

Recommendation: Homeless Bird is about a story of an Indian widow. This book gives a good explanation about the circumstances of widows in India, and also goes into detail about how the young brides are abandoned by their husbands’ families. The story of Indian widows is really interesting to read about because the book describes various conditions of the widows with outstanding descriptive words. The book does not seem hard to read, and I want to recommend Homeless Bird to someone who is interested in Indian traditions and the lives of widows in India.

Summary:
The story began with a marriage of a young girl, Koly, and a boy named, Hari. The young bride, Koly, did not know about Hari’s illness and his parents’ plan. They were hurried to find a bride for sick Hari, in order to cure him, because if he finds a bride, he could get a dowry from the bride’s family. His parents were planned to use the dowry to cure Hari’s sickness. Later, Koly discovered his parents’ plan but she felt sorry for Hari, so she decided to satisfy her life by helping with curing his sickness. Unfortunately, Hari could not live any longer and his father also died because of his work. Hari’s mother did not like Koly so his mother abandoned Koly in an unknown place. Koly did not know what she had to do in these unfamiliar circumstances. Luckily, she met one boy called, Raji, and she was introduced to a widow’s house. Koly lived in this house with the other widows and she worked by using her embroidery skills. Koly’s life had changed a lot as a result of being Hari’s wife, the death of Hari and his father, be abandoned by her mother-in-law, and living with other widows who were similar to her life. At last, Koly would be married with Raji who built a house for her in a village. Koly overcame all her hardships in her life, and finally her life started to become happy just like what she had dreamed of before she married Hari.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homeless Bird.