Amodini's Reviews > Ironskin

Ironskin by Tina Connolly

Oct 11, 2012

liked it
Read in October, 2012

Originally posted at my blog, here.

The book developed as a love story initially with great swathes devoted to Jane’s handling of Dorie’s magical powers. The romance angle is threadbare though; Jane and Rochart meet precious few times, and there didn’t seem any palpable chemistry between them. I liked Jane, but Rochart seemed a tad cowardly. For all his talk and worry about Dorie he seemed to spend little time with her; his character was sketched a little thin. Dorie was the character I had the most sympathy for.

The characters could have used more development and the plot had some logical loopholes. I like the premise of the “fey” intermingled with the real world, but it needed more details; it was like I’d missed the memo on “fey” culture. In books which refer to a different culture or world, the “rules” of that world are generally shown to us before or while events take place. Here, and I consider this the book’s greatest problem, we are thrust into an unseen war between the humans and the fey, but fey-ish details are flimsy and thus lack heft.

I read this at a brisk pace. Inspite of the above problems, the first half did keep me interested. It was only in the later half of the book that things unraveled, with Jane dashing hither and thither without sound reasoning. I normally do not read fantasy but this book’s premise drew in. While it was not all I’d hoped for , it might be a good pick for lovers of the fantasy genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironskin.