George Kulz's Reviews > The Vindico

The Vindico by Wesley King

M_50x66
Oct 11, 12

Read in October, 2012

I have to say I have a weakness for superhero stories. Not the traditional stories, mind you - your Supermans, Spider-mans, etc. But stories about non-traditional heroes. NEW heroes. Stories like the Evil Genius series by Catherine Jinks, or like the ones included in the anthology Who Can Save Us Now?, edited by John McNally and Owen King.

The Vindico fits comfortably on the same shelf for me as those others I just mentioned. It tells the tale of a group of five teens who want more than anything to be superheroes. Some of them even worship the League of superheroes, who are (supposedly) the good guys in this story.

Instead of becoming the heroes they envisioned, however, the five are kidnapped by the Vindico, the current moniker the league of supervillains goes under. The Vindico has plans to train them as their proteges.

This is where things get interesting. The five teens are interesting characters, and each has a unique past that the Vindico members use to manipulate him/her. Also, the supervillains are not just flat, stereotypical villains. They each have their own histories, and their own vendettas, against the League of superheroes. Soon, not only are the proteges confused about who the real good guys are, but you, as the reader, are too. I guarantee you'll be rooting for the Vindico to win this war at certain points in this book. In any case, you can't help but root for the main characters, who manage to find their way through the junk they're fed from both sides and form the only alliance that makes sense to them - an alliance with each other.

This book is definitely worth checking out. Lots of humor, well-formed characters, and action-packed sequences to rival any of the traditional superheroes' comics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vindico.