Amy 's Reviews > The Secret History of the Pink Carnation

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig

Jan 15, 09

bookshelves: 50-books-2009, owned, historical-fiction
Read in January, 2009

One of the good things about managing a book store is being able to read new release magazines and see books and series that you didn't even know existed that you are curious to try, so you order them for your store.

One of the bad things about managing a book store is reading new release magazines and seeing books and series that you didn't even know existed that you are curious to try, so you order them for your store yourself.

I was looking for "romance" books to stock since Valentine's is coming up. In addition to the standard romance section books, I was also getting books that live in the "general fiction", "mystery", and "Sci-fi/fantasy" areas. A new release caught my eye, The Temptation of the Night Jasmine. It was book 5 of a series, so I went looking for the rest. It's been a while since I'd read a romance that I actually enjoyed, and the early 1800's was a perfect spot for me. So off I went and ordered the previous four books.

This was just what I wanted. A spunky (yes spunky) heroine (thankfully balanced out with a dragon of a chaperone and a very level-headed female cousin), a hero dashing and heroic like all good heroes should be (balanced out with an interfering family that adores him and makes him want to beat his head into walls), evil men thwarted, and a modern-day wrapping around it all. Add in a good dose of me giggling through the book (genuine humor, not "oh god this is awful!" giggles), and all was right with the world.

For those that are tired of simpering, braindead, wilting flowers of girls that are the "heroine" of the romance, or are just flat out brainless giggling twits, try this one. Sure she has her young and stupid moments, but with her chaperone and cousin with her, they pull her back before she does too many stupid things. In her defense, she's got moxie in spades and made me smile and laugh. ;)

Tomorrow, I am so getting the other 3 off the shelves and placing another order to the book company to replace these for the store.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret History of the Pink Carnation.