Gwyneth Stewart's Reviews > Dark Currents

Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey

F_50x66
Oct 10, 12

Read in October, 2012

I am hoping that this is the beginning of a new series for the author. There's a lot to like about this story. The protagonist is the daughter of a human and a minor demon, living in a resort town on Lake Michigan which has a very active supernatural community. She's in the difficult position of working both for the local poilce department and serving as an agent of Hel, the Norse Goddess who reigns over the town's underworld of ghouls, vampires, ogres, undines, werewolves and other supernatural beings. When a college kid is found drowned, Daisy is called in by the police to work with the local eldritch community to find out what really happened. This story has features of a mystery as well as an urban fantasy, along with a cast of eccentric characters, both human and not, and a good dose of humor. the only other Carey novels I have read are her Santa Olivia novels, which I loved. This is more light-hearted than those, and I do hope the author continues to develop this world and these characters.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Currents.