Sunny's Reviews > I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Jan 15, 09

I know why the caged bird sings by Maya Angelou
Rating: 9/10
I really enjoyed this book. It is the autobiography of the poet as a young girl-- spanning from age three to the birht of her fistr child in her late teens. It is so rare to find a book about a famous person's childhood (unless of course the were famous as a child) and the book is exceptionally well written. The language gradually, subtly progresses as the main character ages. Even though it sounds like it would be boring and moralistic to read about "a young black girl growing up in the south during the depression" the book is actually frank and intersting and emotive without being sentimental or cheesy.

Why challenged? My guess? Rape, sex, discussion of *gasp* lesbianism, racial whatnot, language, drinking, illegality.

Research says: racially offensive [i:]interestingly, this is taken from a site that *encourages* book banning...
considered "dangerous" because it "preaches bitterness and hatred against whites."
sexual content
Too sexually explicit; doesn't represent traditional values

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.