El's Reviews > Boundaries of Love, and Other Stories

Boundaries of Love, and Other Stories by Henry H. Roth

Jan 17, 09

bookshelves: 20th-centurylit-late
Read in January, 2009

This is not the Henry Roth. It is not the author of Call It Sleep. I did not realize that until I finished the book. And then I felt bad for him because it's like no one has read this book, and he's probably constantly confused for that other Henry Roth, the one with all literary popularity.

But then I realized I found quite the little gem. These stories were great. All 19 of the stories were about some version of love - the boundaries of such, the confusion regarding love, the misplacement of it, the falsehoods, the extremes. There are families falling apart, people trying to hold it together, dreams beginning and ending, and wow. I enjoyed almost all of them. Some were exceptionally short, some were longer; after muddling through the first two stories (having picked it up at maybe the wrong time initially) I breezed through the rest of the book.

It looks like this Henry Roth has a few other books and collections of short stories. If they're anything like this one I will be in for quite a treat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boundaries of Love, and Other Stories.