Patrick Gibson's Reviews > Along the High Road

Jan 15, 2009

bookshelves: new_mexico, road_trip
Recommended for: road trippers
Read in January, 2008 , read count: 2

You could ask for more, but you don’t really need to. If you are going to trek the High Road and have never done it before, then this is a good book for such a purpose. If you are local and want more than the casual tourist info, seek other sources. This slim little paperback has just enough information for a one day tourist drive up to Taos. It recommends all the right places to stop and sample the local landmarks, art, food and scenery—with just a little bit of historical background. There isn’t anything in depth or controversial. It is simple and innocuous. The directions are perfect. (I drove this with a neophyte visiting from NY and made him read the directions out loud. Oh yes, people, I test these kinds of books. Hey, it’s my job—what can I say?) The little side trips are acceptable. Considering this is the only book I have come across that takes you step by step from Santa Fe to Taos via the back roads, I have to sigh and say “it will do.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Along the High Road.