Tiffany's Reviews > A Raw Mix of Carelessness and Longing

A Raw Mix of Carelessness and Longing by Cecelia Elizabeth Frey

May 13, 09

bookshelves: 2009, favourites, great-can-lit
Read in May, 2009

This book was a pleasure. You think it's going to be about the unpredictability of the independent music industry, life on the road, sex, drugs, and rock n' roll ... and it is. But it's so much more than that. It's about a young woman defining herself via the love of her life, a boy she has known throughout her entire existence. She knows nothing else, lives her life for him, even seems to become him, in some ways. The way she finally begins to define herself as an individual seemed very real to me -- it happens in starts and stops, and you really start to wonder if maybe she is him, despite it being obvious that she has a very defined personality of her own.

Frey has been praised for her ability to write realistic dialogue, but I hope she's also been recognized for the way her characters relate to each other. It's obvious that Frey is a very deliberate sort of writer, as I very much felt like I was reading something beautifully crafted, with each detail contributing to the Big Picture in an very careful way. Nothing felt wasted. I can't say enough about the rawness of the language; it strikes that perfect balance between importance and subtlety, something a lot of writers struggle with.

It's a new favourite!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Raw Mix of Carelessness and Longing.

05/12/2009 page 75
28.41% "Loving it so far. It's beautiful."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alexis I actually added this to my request list after reading your review. Sounds like a book I'd LOVE.

Tiffany Good to hear! It is truly a wonderful book, the best 2009 release I've read so far.