Dan's Reviews > Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy

Twilight of the Elites by Christopher L. Hayes

Oct 10, 12

Read in October, 2012

Chris’s logic is impeccable in describing the how, why, and consequences of self-styled aristocratic elites taking on the self-indulgent persona of an all powerful and insular illuminati. He chronicles the evaporation of trust in our major institutions and the counter intuitive, but ongoing belief of the average person in the American dream. He succinctly tells us where this might take us and what the ultimate price we will have to pay might be; where he breaks done is in the offering of a viable alternative to continued and ruinous inequality.

The book is a worthy read regardless of the lack of solutions because it shines a bright light on the causes and effects of elitism and self aggrandizement. Have your dictionary close to hand and don’t try to read it in huge bites. His vocabulary is voluminous and he uses it all. An hour of quadric-syllabic and penta-syllabic vernacular is about all I can consume at one sitting.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight of the Elites.