Kate's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

1914270
Aug 13, 10

bookshelves: never-finished

***UPDATE***

I tried really, really, really hard to get into this book. I guess I just don’t get what’s so great about this one and probably never will. I’m hoping this will be one of those rare instances where the movie is better than the book, but time will tell on that as well.

There were parts that grabbed me but they were just too few and very far between. A few friends kept telling me, it gets better, but it just didn’t for me. I felt that the story was too bogged down in family heritage and Swedish things I was supposed to know but didn’t. I just couldn’t move through those parts to get to the “goods” that everyone else in the world seems to be enjoying and that made me very sad.

However, there are just too many books in the sea and this one unfortunately just isn’t one I want to spend more time on, so I’m saying au voir and moving onto something else. Maybe I’ll come back to this one someday, but probably not. I'm just glad I borrowed this one and didn't buy it.

*********************************************************************
It's time for me to start this series since the first movie is out on DVD and the second one is in theaters. Plus, I hear this series is fantastic and the movie looks pretty sweet too. Stay tuned for a more cohesive review once I've actually read the darn thing :-)
1 like · likeflag

07/14/2010 page 30
6.0% "Slow going...hoping it'll pick up soon."
07/26/2010 page 93
16.0% "I'm just not getting into this one. It picks up then drags again. I would put it on my never finished shelf but I'm just way to curious to see why everyone is in love with this book so much. Must finish it!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lindsay this is still sitting on my shelf too! Really need to get with the program!

Tinav Be prepared to set your life on hold and lose sleep. the first book starts slowly while background builds, but after a few chapters, it flies! You are riveted from then on. Enjoy.

message 3: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate Lindsay, you should totally read it with me, so then I'll have someone to talk about this book with.

Ooooh, thanks for the heads up Tinav. I'm hoping for the best and that this series will be one I can really get into.

message 4: by David (new)

David Katzman you're not alone, Kate. I haven't read it, but i have a good friend who is a writer and editor who didn't enjoy this either. He said the reason people love it is because it's Swedish! hah. he said it really didn't have any more depth than a mainstream commercial best seller, like DaVinci Code. (ps. Don't flame me Tattoo lovers, i'm just passing on what my friend said).

Lindsay I fought hard to get through this. I'm enjoying the movie so far - it takes out all that needless crap! Just watch that instead.

Jenna Awww I like it a lot! I figured I would probably put the book down because it's pretty long but I'm actually enjoying it.