Noeleen's Reviews > 14

14 by Peter Clines

Oct 21, 12

Read from October 10 to 17, 2012

My enjoyment of this book was a definite suprise to me. I'm not a huge fan of audio books and wanted to give them one last try for my drive to and from work. Audible featured '14' when I happened to be browsing the website and it appeared that a lot of people rated this book very highly, so I decided to give this one a try based on those recommendations on audible. This book would not normally be the type of book I would read and it took me WAY out of my comfort zone but I'm so glad I took a chance on it, it restored my faith in audio books with good narrators. Firstly, the narrator, Ray Porter was truly excellent. This is a very character driven book and Porter's narration of the different characters was second to none.

I am finding it difficult to describe the story of '14', you can read the 'blurb' for yourself...it's weird and quirky, mystery, doomsday and steampunk combined. It was a fun read at times with good one liners...perhaps maybe think of the characters from the TV programme 'Lost' living in an apartment block which has many strange and odd going ons and the characters coming together to figure out the mystery of the building, I feel I am doing the book an injustice by trying to describe the story!...however the character interaction, for me, was the most important aspect of the story rather than them actually figuring out the mystery behind the building.

This book was so enjoyable and well worth the listen. I would recommend this book if you are looking for something totally different, quirky and to take you out of your reading comfort zone. The only reason I hesitated giving this a five star rating is that whilst we got to know the backgrounds to some of the characters we didn't get the backgrounds to all characters and I would have loved to know more about the backgrounds of all the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 14.