Eliszard's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

U 50x66
Jan 15, 2009

liked it
Read in January, 2009

Ah the classics. Everybody can read their own agenda in them. So, first a short plot guide for dinner conversations when one needs to fake acculturation, and then on to the critics’ view.
A woman [1:] is in love with her non-blood brother [2:] but marries her neighbor [3:] whose sister [4:] marries the non-blood brother [2:]; their [1,3:] daughter [5:] marries their [2,4:] son [6:]; meanwhile, their [1,2:] elder brother marries and has a son [7:]. Then everybody dies, 1 of bad temper, 4 of stupidity, 3 of a cold, 6 because he’s irritating, 2 because he’s mean and tried to rise above his station. 5 and 7 are the only ones left, so they marry. The women are all called Catherine, the men are mostly called Earnshaw, and through intermarriage everybody is a bit of a Heathcliff.

The Marxist critic: the oppressed and underprivileged [2:] revolts to improve his lot in life, but fails to make allies and loses everything, as always.
The Post-colonialist critic: once again the rich [1,3,4:] meddle with the lives of the poor [2:] under the pretense of improving them, in fact wrecking havoc.
The Feminist critic: if only the Catherines had read The Feminine Mystique…
The Freudian critic: repeated intermarriage and border-line incest make for such good stories!
The Shakespearean critic: Much Ado About Nothing
The Entertainment Weekly executive: stories told by sources close to the protagonists always sell well, because most people live vicariously. And dinnertime has always been the perfect slot for gossip.
191 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

02/01 marked as: read

message 1: by Ken-ichi (new)

Ken-ichi Your hilarious reviews of apparently mediocre books actually make me want to read them. Dangerous.

Eliszard I conceived the review as a service to those who shouldn't waste time reading the book, but have a feeling that they should read it. Do not read it, unless you are stuck on a plane with a small child kicking the back of your seat for 11 hours straight, which is the only was you can appreciate how people can will themselves to die, as the protagonists of Wuthering Heights seem to constantly do...

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick that is a simply awesome review. I will now proceed to use its key points to bolster my unearned reputation for erudition as necessary.

message 4: by WK (new) - rated it 4 stars

WK Although I was a little more generous with my rating, I have to admit your review is right-on-target with my basic take of the novel. I read it because my it's among my Goddaughter's favorites. We had such a wonderful discussion after we both read Frankenstein, I thought we should read and discuss another novel - her pick.

How/why this is considered a classic love story is a mystery to me. If this is love, then I guess I like my hubby!

Eliszard I tried to read it in the spirit of the time, rather than as a contemporary novel, and that made it a bit more tolerable... to me, the main issue is that people - especially women - of that social class, in those times, were fundamentally bored, and boredom confuses the mind deeply! I'll try reading Frankestein - hopefully nobody is bored there!

message 6: by Madeline (last edited Sep 30, 2009 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Madeline Awesome, awesome, awesome review. You've got it all in a nutshell.

Sarah Ross that's exactly what I was thinking the whole time I read it - aren't there any other possible names we could use, just for clarity's sake??

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Although I actually love the book that has got to be the best synopsis/review I've ever read of it.

Tanvi LOL! After reading dreary reviews about WH, this one is too good. :)

Debbie Your review was so much more entertaining than the book itself!!

message 11: by Irene (new) - rated it 1 star

Irene Hao "The Shakespearean critic: Much Ado About Nothing" hahaha perfect!

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder Your review was very entertaining.

Cemre If you didn't see anything worthwhile in this book it doesn't mean people who liked it are faking it.

Not to mention that your analyze of the cultural studies of the book being fairly inaccurate.

I could mention the symbolism of the names and surnames and etc. but you'll probably blame me for being a pretensious, stuck up retard (because liking and thinking about this worthless melodrama which was only written because the women of that time were very bored makes me one) so ı'll shut up.

Cemre I've looked to the list of the books that you've read and most of them seem to be very "dinner partyish". If you were making irony in your review then sorry for not understanding it.

tiss (lavidaenquotes) Best review of this book I've encountered. Way better than the book itself.