Aimee (Getting Your Read On)'s Reviews > Sheltered

Sheltered by Debra Chapoton

1934633
Oct 19, 12

Read from October 10 to 19, 2012

Oh. Demons. Like I will possess you kind of demons. Not in a paranormal world, but in our real life world. Scary. I didn't realize when I started this book exactly what I was in for!

I can't say that I am a fan of the demonic psycho kind of books or movies. I avoid them like the plague. Number one, because I am a chicken. I prefer to feel safe and happy instead of scared and crazy. Number two, because I just don't like it. Borderline too real.

I would say that this book made me uncomfortable. All the demonic forces that possess the kids are freaky. Ouija boards, chanting and levitating are just not my thing. I had a hard time with that aspect of it although I know LOTS of people who love that sort of thing in books so I'm sure they will be interested in this book.

Let me tell you about what I did like in this book. I liked the concept of a group of outcast kids making it together. All with problems, all needing help. I thought Ben was an excellent lead character in this book. His protective, helpful role was awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed the growing relationship between Megan and Ben. The ice skating scene was my favorite. :)

I think the book brings into play several different mental illnesses that are generally not understood well. It was hard to read about the kid planning the shootings. Way to close to home for many people in recent years that have lived through that sort of horrific event.

I would say that Debra has written a book that will appeal to many people. Edgy, a bit freaky with a sweet romance. Probably a perfect Halloween read for anyone in the mood for that.

As far as content there was swearing, an almost sex scene, violence, self mutilation and some satanic/demonic rituals.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sheltered.