Blaire's Reviews > Free Food for Millionaires

Jan 15, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2009

It took a while for this book to grab me, but ultimately it did. Ordinarily I look for books with an unusual insight into the human condition or books that are highly imaginative. Sometimes I just appreciate a good story. This book falls into the latter category. Although well-written, it didn't cause me to swoon over the beauty of the language. Nonetheless, I found myself caught up by the story and caring what happened to the characters. The setting is contemporary New York, a community of Korean immigrants and their children. While the major themes revolved around the immigrant experience of America and how the characters attempt to find their place in American society, I didn't find that to be the most interesting part of the book. The characters were well-drawn, and flawed, as all humans are, and I found the more personal aspects of their stories to be more absorbing than the larger societal issues they faced. Perhaps I haven't rated this more highly because, while I sympathized with all of the characters, there was none that really lit me up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free Food for Millionaires.