Karah's Reviews > Curse of the Spellmans

Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz

Jan 15, 2009

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in January, 2009

Kelly introduced me to this book and I really liked it! It reminded me of Janet Evanovich books except that the main character is a bit more quirky and seems to lack the actual skills that Stephanie Plum has.

The book is set in California in the midst of a functioning dysfunctional family. The main character, Isabel, is constantly finding herself in trouble for being suspicious of most everyone in her life. I loved the interactions of Isabel, her sister (Rae), her parents, brother, and of course the 'friend of the family' (Henry)--who is her age but actually a friend of Rae's.

I'm looking forward to more from this author and to see these characters evolve. While it's a quick and fun read, it's kinda hard to move through b/c there are a bunch of little footnotes (that are really funny!) and the book jumps around a bit in time so it can be somewhat confusing to keep track of everything. Check it out at your local library!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curse of the Spellmans.