Stacey V's Reviews > Defending Jacob

Defending Jacob by William Landay

Oct 10, 2012

Read in October, 2012

An excellent crime novel from the defendant's point of view. What I like most about this novel is the way Landay feeds off human emotion. The characters are not only believable, but draw on the reader's empathy. You can't feel anything but anger and helplessness as the trial progresses. I wanted to punch the prosecuting attorney, Neal Logiudice, in the face! The twists near the end of the book were also well-played.

This is a great read for anyone for OR against retribution and rehabilitation of criminals and reform of our country's criminal, prison, and justice systems. For those supporting this idea, you will find yourself only further encouraged to hold this belief. For those in opposition, I think it's a real eye opener to the injustices out there. And the story doesn't just tell the trial. It follows the family before, during and after, as if you are sitting in the living room, feeling their pain. That feat is often tried for and failed, but here, being successful, it is perhaps the story's silver gem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defending Jacob.