Melissa's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Original 2009 review Oh my, this book is awesome. Not a single complaint about it. Who wouldn't love this chick? I agree with Emily's being envious that I was reading it for the first time; I am now jealous of anyone who picks this up and cracks it open. Starting with Bill, who is about a 1/3 into it, lucky man.

2012 re-reading review This book still makes me want to squee, and honestly, I am not a squee-ing person. It's just as fantastic as it was the first time. Although the part where she runs over the mountain is sort of silly. I've read a lot of reviews here that seem mad at Katsa for thinking that getting married will take her freedom away, but I don't think I'm going to take her to task on that. If that's what she believes and it fits in the context of the book (which it does), than whether I think she's right or not doesn't need to be an issue. If Katsa & Po have a relationship that they like, good for them. I don't necessarily think that Cashore was trying to make some big statement about femininity, I think that she was just writing a female character who didn't want to get married. This seems especially evident if you take into consideration that Fire (I think) has no problem with marriage, although I certainly may be wrong about her intentions.

There's a lot of stuff I forgot about this book, especially the part on the boat, and that they'd twigged to Leck's Grace earlier than I'd thought. What makes me the most happy is that I do remember the anticipation I felt about the book Bitterblue because I liked her character so much, and now I know that this promise was fulfilled, my anticipation was worth it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.