Kilian Metcalf's Reviews > The Kingmaker's Daughter

The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory

Oct 10, 12

Read in October, 2012

I wanted to like this book, but it was a disappointment. I gave it the three stars because it did help clear up some of my cloudiness about the relationships among the players in the Wars of the Roses. I also saw some parallels between the historical characters and the GRR Martin series Game of Thrones. Cersei parallels Elizabeth Woodville, for example, right down to surrounding the throne with family members and assuming control and ruling through her young son when her husband dies (rumored to be poisoned). Unfortunately the title character comes across as a whiny, unhappy woman who hides behind her womanly weakness and lack of power whenever she is in trouble but hates every other woman, who is probably as powerless as she is. The one woman who seems powerful, Elizabeth Woodville, is hated even more because she isn't a pawn. If you're obsessed by the Wars of the Roses, you might find some clarity here, but otherwise it's rather tedious and repetious.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingmaker's Daughter.

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Bummer....I thought this looked good. Interesting parallel with Martin.

Kilian Metcalf Well, it depends on how committed you are to learning about the Wars of the Roses. For me, it started with Gregory and her The Other Boleyn Girl. Then I started to get serious about the Tudor court, reading scholarly stuff from real historians, and now I'm enlarging the borders with reading about the Wars of the Roses. I suppose someday I'll stop backing up and start going forward from James I through the Civil War, the Protectorate, the Restoration and so on. If I live long enough LOL!

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Yes, I know what you mean. I figure on my death bed I'll know about enough to run England for the past 10 centuries or so. hehehehehehehhe