Lisa - (Aussie Girl)'s Reviews > Kiss of Steel

Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster

A refreshing and imaginative fusion of steampunk,vampire and historical romance by new Australian author, Bec McMaster. In an alternate 19th century version of London the seven houses of the Echelon of Blue Bloods, blood drinking aristocracy rule London under the Prince-Regent and his human Queen. The seedy underbelly of London in Whitechapel is the territory of Blade a rogue Blue Blood, lethal, cockney and dangerously appealing to one Honoria Todd who must take shelter in his dominion. Thus sets the scene for one rip-snorting adventure where Honoria is in danger not only for her secrets and her family's safety but of losing her heart to one she thought she could never trust.

This is a great first novel. Bec McMaster does a good job in painting the scene and the world building is explained artfully without the confusing "information drop" which often clouds first books in series. There is also a great combination of genres and the right balance of romance and action and the inclusion of appealing secondary characters within the pages of this novel. But where the novel really shines is the unfurling of the relationship between Honoria and Blade, the slow building of trust and understanding, the portrayal of deepening attraction and sexual tension which leaps off the page and elevates this novel from good to excellent.

My only small nit is the choice of some of the surnames used for secondary characters such as Lannister and Barrons in this novel. Both have been claimed in other novels (Lannister in George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series and Barrons in KM Moning's Fever series) by powerfully unique characters. It just took me out of this story a little bit.

I have already pre-ordered the next instalment Heart of Iron that continues the story of Honoria's sister Helena and Blade's second, Will Carver a surly, melancholic verwulfen... Can't wait!

4.5 stars.

RRR Challenge: Vampire
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Steel.

10/11/2012 "70% read on kindle.
Fantastic steampunk first novel by a talented Aussie writer." 1 comment

Melindeeloo Oh, I want to read this one too, I hope it ends well for you. Look forward to seeing what you think:)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Looks good!

MelissaB Great review Lisa! One of these days I am going to try steam punk but I think I am still traumatized by watching Wild Wild West when I was younger :)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) Thanks Melissa. Haha, I remember that movie, not Will Smith's finest moment. The steampunk factor is quite gentle in this book it reads more like a historical romance. In fact the lead hero really reminded me of Lisa Kleypas' Derek Craven but with fangs...