Jenn Auvil's Reviews > Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything

Wikinomics by Don Tapscott

F_50x66
Jan 15, 09

Read in July, 2008

This book provided me with exactly what I was looking for--an overview of the concept of wikis and the various ways that individuals and companies might use them. It was good timing for two reasons: (1) working on ed publishing academy courses and considering alternative delivery methods and (2) starting work on the new sociology project that would involve collaboration and communication with the author, client, and internal staff on a wiki.

I particularly enjoyed chapter 3: The Peer Pioneers, which explored wikipedia. This chapter considered some of the downsides of peer production: what happens when everyone is a SME (subject matter expert) and how can you control accuracy when people can contribute (character assassination). I loved the stat on pps 74-7: regarding errors in wikipedia vs. encyclopedia Britannica--this was particularly interesting as I don't accept wikipedia as a source for my writers (staff or freelancer) nor did I allow it to be used as an acceptable resource while teaching college composition.

While I can't say I gained a significant amount of knowledge that was immediately useful for my day-to-day job functions, it was an enjoyable and informative read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wikinomics.