Ashley's Reviews > Princess of the Midnight Ball

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Nov 02, 10

liked it
bookshelves: fairy-tales, own, signed

This was a good book, and a fun read, but a little disappointing. Overall, it was pretty well written, but a lot of it felt flat to me. I didn't feel a whole lot of character, or story development really. There were some great story lines and pieces that could have been used magnificently, but were wasted, and left unexplored. Like Walter- he's awesome but all he does is find a switch and hand out a plant?! And the King Under Stone gathering power through their danceing? Great idea, so use it! I felt that a lot was left unexplored, and I didn't feel that there was enough development of Rose and Galen's relationship. A few parts just felt a little forced.
There were some really good parts to it though, like the ages of the princesses. Most retellings do weird sets of twins, or a really old oldest, but this story only had one set of twins, and the ages were 17 to 6. I liked that idea, it made the story more believable, and it also made it easier to keep track of which princess was which.
Maybe it's because this is my most favorite fairy tale, and I expected too much, but this one just wasn't my favorite. I liked her retelling of West of the Moon better. (Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Midnight Ball.

Isabel Argh! Exactly! I wish I could write reviews like you. ;-)

Ashley Aww thanks! I just talk a lot :P And, the more reviews you write, the better they get.

Isabel Yes, I've come to the decision that I want to write reviews a lot more now than I did before. They're fun to write and a good skill to have, once you've written a lot!

Ashley Awesome! :D

It's also fun to find your own review style. Everyone does it differently, and what you hit on your style & how you best like to write them, it's awesome. :)

Isabel Yeah, I know! I know my writing style for when I'm writing novels (even though it's still growing a LOT) but it's cool to see how that applies to this kind of stuff too. I'm finding that it's very similar. ;)

Ashley Cool! Good luck with both types of writing! :D