Barbara's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Jan 15, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly This one looks really good, but then I noticed it was about leukemia. I'm kind-of a hypochondriac when it comes to the "C" word (cancer) and usually steer clear of books about it. I might try one of her others first!

Barbara I understand your "C" phobia and it's a reasonable one. I think that maybe you could overcome this somewhat when you read the book. Just a short synopsis without spoilers- The main character, Anna, is 13 years old and was conceived in order to provide transplants for her ill sister ( not an unheard of practice). She is bright and spirited, but questions her own life. She seeks the help of a wonderful, feeling lawyer to proclaim her own rights. Picoult has the knack of really getting into the heads of her characters. She is right on target with adolescent feelings. As always, she concludes her book with a "hook"- a surprise ending. This is one book that I continue to think about years after I read it. Perhaps my profession as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner has contributed to this.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly This actually sounds REALLY good by your description. It sounds a bit like a coming-of-age story, which I always love. My "C" phobia always makes me worry that I might have some kind of undetected cancer lurking in my body, or that I'll get it in the future... but I might could put that aside for this book. My trade-a-book only had a couple of Picoult's - I was going to ask you about them, but now I've forgotten which ones they were! Maybe Vanishing Acts and Mercy.

p.s. my half-sis is also a nurse in pediatrics :)

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Did you hear this is going to be a movie with Cameron Diaz? The release date is June 26th of this year. I just heard something about it last night.

Barbara Kelly wrote: "Did you hear this is going to be a movie with Cameron Diaz? The release date is June 26th of this year. I just heard something about it last night."

I didn't hear about the movie. I think Cameron Diaz is cute, but I can't picture her in the role- actually which sister?

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Actually, I think Cameron is playing the mom. Abigail Breslin (the little girl from Little Miss Sunshine) is playing Anna, but I'm unfamiliar with the little girl who is playing the other sister. Jason Patrick plays the dad. Alec Baldwin and Joan Cusack are also in the movie.
Here is a small article and the trailer for the movie:

Barbara I looked up the article in Huffington P.(thanks) and found it a little confusing- actually garbled. Why is Cameron Diaz supposed to be shaving her head?
I'll probably see this movie, but films rarely seem to capture the mood of the book.

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I didn't read the article, just watched the trailer. I guess the mom didn't shave her head in the book? I took it as a show of solidarity since her daughter was bald from the chemo.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly A few people on Oprah today had seen an advanced viewing of the movie, and gave it high praise. They said be sure to take lots of kleenex!!

Barbara I think that movies rarely match the original book. but occasionally they do. I plan to see it and give it a chance- with my Kleenex.
Did you finish it?

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly No, I haven't read this one yet. I'm still reading The Garden of Last Days, and have a pile from the library to read after that. But I plan to check it out at some point!