Paula Phillips's Reviews > Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society

Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society by Amy Hill Hearth

1969584
Oct 12, 12

Read in October, 2012

When I first saw this book, I thought this sounds like me - a story about a women's literary society. As a big reader , I love reading books about books etc. From the very first page , I was captured and thrown headfirst into the world of six very different people who had one thing in common - they all loved to read and felt like outsiders. The story starts when Jackie Hart moves to the small county of Collier with her family from Boston , wanting to meet people she decides to begin a Women's Literary society at the local library. Turning up on the first day she has no idea what to expect but it seems the group has attracted the interests of the outsiders of Collier County and each living with a hidden secret. We have Plain Jane who has been writing incognito as a Sex writer for magazines like Cosmo and Playboy , Priscilla - a negro housemaid who can read and one day dreams of attending Bethune College- an all-blacks college , Robbie-Lee - a homosexual white male who lives with his alligator wrestling mother , Miss Lansbury - the Librarian of Collier County , Miss Bailey White - an elderly woman who has just been released from jail for murdering her husband many moons ago and Dora - an independant , turtle loving postal worker whose point of view the story is written from and last but not least Jackie Hart - the woman who brought the whole group of misfits together , she has a secret too. She is in fact the midnight till 2am radio presenter Miss Dreamsville.
Miss Dreamsville and The Collier County Women's Literary Society is an awesome read which not only includes a list of great book discussions from Breakfast at Tiffany's to The Eyes of God are Watching but also gives the luxury to read the up's and downs of how one women changed the course of lives for many others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David O. Idahosa Very interesting Paula. I have to read it as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the book.