Jeanne's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison

Oct 12, 12

bookshelves: food-and-drink
Read from October 11 to 12, 2012

I’m not going to lie: I picked this book because it has cupcakes on the cover. Surprisingly, this novel has nothing to do with cupcakes or baking.

Gemma Craig is 37 years old and still single. And that’s the way she likes it. She has her own business; she is a personal chef. As we read along, we meet her different clients (different for each day of the week) and sort of get a sense of Gemma’s cooking style and/or philosophy.

A one-night stand, an amorous client, and an unfortunate incident with a peacock lead to messiness in Gemma’s life, both personal and professional. Can she straighten out her life and keep doing what she loves?

I’m not quite sure how I would rate this novel. I read it quickly and enjoyed certain aspects of the novel. Unfortunately, the writing is uneven, and the tone changes abruptly within the narrative. One thing I know for sure: I would not recommend this to someone attracted to the overly cute cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.