Ladiibbug's Reviews > The Devil You Know

Jan 17, 2009

Recommended for: Historical Romance Fans
Read in January, 2009

#1 Devil trilogy

Oh, the pure reading bliss and deep contentment of a Liz Carlyle book!

From the quirky chapter headings "In Which We Commence Our Tale of Woe", to dissolving into her expertly crafted historicals, to the amusing author bio on the inside back covers " ... Liz Carlyle always packs her pearls, her dancing slippers, and her whalebone corset, confident in the belief that eventually she will receive an invitation to a ball or to a rout."

Liz opens her "Devil" trilogy with Miss Frederica d'Avillez. She's had a lackluster London season, and her longtime beau has thrown her over for a more eligible miss. Freddie finds herself in the arms of the dashing rogue Bentley "Hell-Bent" Rutledge, a friend of the family.

Bentley never resists temptation or his desire for female companionship. When their reckless passion has dire consequences, both are forced to reckon with responsibility and face dark secrets haunting them from the past.

No spoilers, but I liked the realism of how Freddie and Bentley had to grapple with real life issues of commitment, responsibility, and facing up to the past in order to move into the future as whole people.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil You Know.

01/15/2009 page 170

Julie (jjmachshev) I love her books too!