Courtney's Reviews > Wicked Lovely

Mar 25, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in March, 2009

It took me a long time to get into this one. I even asked one of my student's who had just read it if it's worth finishing, and I'm not one to put books down without finishing.

Perhaps I skimmed parts I wasn't interested in, but I never felt truly invested in the characters. I never quite had their personalities or even physical descriptions nailed down, with the exception of Keenan, who was described over and over. All the other main characters faded away, but I always had a clear picture of Keenan (though his name did make me think of a hilarious black actor on SNL, and that didn't help).

I was also confused almost the whole time about the exact mythology of the faeries. I never really understood who they were, why they existed, and why it was so important for Keenan to find his Summer Queen.

And one more complaint... It all came together a little too easily. Now it's no Breaking Dawn, but pretty much everyone ending up happy? Yikes. I know it's about faeries, but that's unrealistic. I would still recommend it for kids that are into fantasy, and I think the female protagonist is better than others. She's more strong and less needy. Anyway, not the best book in the world, but I'll probably still pick up the next one, Ink Exchange.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Lovely.