thefourthvine's Reviews > I Love Everybody

I Love Everybody by Laurie Notaro

Jan 14, 09

bookshelves: essays, humor, biographies-autobiographies-memoirs, kindle
Read in January, 2009

I bought this one on the strength of The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death. Sadly, it's not as good as that one - and Flaming Tantrum I got for free.

Previously, my rule has been that if a book makes me laugh out loud, it gets four stars, period. I value laughter, and comedy is hard. This book made me change that rule, because it was such a weird blend of laughing and, well, cringing. While reading these essays, I found myself really, really hoping this was all an exaggeration, that she was claiming to have said things she only thought, that she didn't really act that way. And even though I mostly think that's true, some of these stories still hit a squick I didn't even know I had, some close kin to my embarrassment squick. "You're an adult!" I kept wanting to say. "You have a job and major debt and a husband! Stop acting like a junior varsity football player who has a really good steroids connection!"

Still. I did laugh out loud from time to time, when I wasn't wincing away from the page. And I probably will buy another book by Notaro; her work is basically the print equivalent of cotton candy, which is, as it happens, exactly what I'm in the mood for right now.

I just wish it was cotton candy that didn't make me flinch every other chapter, that's all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love Everybody.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Queue (new)

Queue Cotton candy with, like, thorns.

thefourthvine Queue wrote: "Cotton candy with, like, thorns."

EXACTLY.