Joe's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Oct 09, 12

bookshelves: theology
Read in October, 2012

It's the life in between, the days of walking lifeless, the years calloused and simply going through the hollow motions, the self-protecting by self-distracting, the body never waking, that's lost all capacity to fully feel - this is the life in between that makes us the wild walking dead. (27)

As long as thanks is possible, then joy is always possible. (33)

Eucharisteo - thanksgiving - always precedes the miracle. (35)

"The only real fall of man is his noneucharistic life in a noneucharistic world." That was the fall! Non-eucharisteo, ingratitude, was the fall - humanity's disappointment with all that God freely gives. That is what has scraped me raw: ungratefulness. (35)

Facing the abandonment of God Himself (does it get any worse than this?), Jesus offers thanksgiving for even that which will break Him and crush Him and wound Him and yield a bounty of joy. The mystery always contains more mystery. (36)

The Eucharist invites us to give thanks for dying. To participate in His death with our own daily dying and give thanks for it. (37)

The act of sacrificing thank offerings to God - even for the bread and cup of cost, for cancer and crucifixion - this prepares the way for God to show us His fullest salvation from bitter, angry, resentful lives and from all sin that estranges us from Him. At the Eucharist, Christ breaks His heart to heal ours - Christ, the complete accomplishment of our salvation. And the miracle of eucharisteo never ends: thanksgiving is what precedes the miracle of that salvation being fully worked out in our lives. Thanksgiving - giving thanks in everything - is what prepares the way for salvation's whole restoration... (40)

Because the picking up of a pen isn't painful and ink can be cheap medicine. And I just might live. (49)

Practice is the hardest part of learning, and training is the essence of transformation. (56)

Do not disdain the small. The whole of life - even the hard - is made up of the minute parts, and if I miss the infinitesimals, I miss the whole. (57)

I have lived pain, and my life can tell: I only deepen the wound of the world when I neglect to give thanks... (58)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.