The_Freddy's Reviews > Girl with a Pearl Earring

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Jan 14, 09

bookshelves: 2007-reading-list, fiction, light-reading
Read in October, 2007, read count: 1

Wow, that one I read fast.

And I enjoyed it, too. I was being a bit sceptical before, actually I only read it, so I could watch the movie afterwards, but I was surprised in a good way.

I was captured by the narrative pretty soon and it read very lightly, very easily. I was longing for such a book for some time. Reading it was as easy as watching TV, but still it was good literature and not a cheap action tome.
The first-person narrator was done very well, I thought, Griet is a composed and exact obsever and story teller.
The language was simple, but pretty (and only every 50 pages I kind of stumbled over a weird, seemingly modern word ;) ), the details in colors and shapes were desribed in a perfect way.
One also got to know the characters pretty soon and pretty good, even though in some cases, like Cornelia, it seemed a little blunt and overdone.

So, all in all I really liked it and can now watch the movie. Even though from the description of the movie I guess they changed a lot of the story - or rather only details, because so much story isn't there. But in the book all of the things that lead to Griets "sacking" just sort of happened, the interpersonal relations all were very obscure, fragile and not exactly black-white, and I was wondering how this can be translated into a movie.
And from what I read of the movie so far, those things were changed, adjusted to mainstream, perhaps.
I also wonder, how much of the graphic details they changed, that wouldn't be bad, only weird probably, to see things that were described exactly in colors and details, in a different form then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl with a Pearl Earring.