Patrick's Reviews > Unfettered

Jul 06, 13

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: to-read, books-i-would-blurb
Read in July, 2013

Over the last couple weeks, people have been asking me about this anthology, where my first-ever short story published.

But I can't write an honest review of it yet, as I haven't had a chance to read it all the way through.

I can say that what I've read so far, I've really liked.

In addition to that, I did write the introduction to the book, and since that explains what the anthology is all about, I'm going to put that up here so people can see it.

* * *

Can I be honest here? I don't read forewords.

Can I be painfully honest? I don't even know what forwards are for.

Am I supposed to somehow convince you to buy this book? Are you even now standing in a bookstore, reading this, your gut roiling with indecision?

That doesn't seem to make sense to me. For one thing, you can see the folks in this anthology. You've read their names on the cover. It couldn't be more impressive if it included Lord Krishna and Optimus Prime. If those names didn't convince you, what could I possibly say that might tip you over the edge?

I mean, it is true that owning this book will make you roughly 38% more attractive. Its mere presence on your shelf boosts your metabolism, too. And there's the fact that touching it on a daily basis is proven to cure scrofula and reverse baldness.

Seriously, what do you expect? I'm *in* the book. And I'm a professional liar. You can't trust my opinion on this matter. Of course I'd like you to buy it.

Maybe you've already bought this book, and now I'm supposed to somehow reassure you, make it clear you've spent your money wisely. Is that the point of a foreword? Am I just trying to help you stave off the chilly hand of buyer's remorse?

It seems to me that in both those cases, you'd be better served just reading the book rather than looking here for answers. I mean, honestly. We're 200 words in at this point. If you'd just skipped this foreword you'd already be on the second page of one of the stories….

Well fine. If you're here, I guess you want something else. And given that I don’t know what I'm supposed to write in a foreword, I'm just going to tell you a story.

Back in 2007, my first book was published. Also in 2007 my mom died of cancer.

In 2007, I also met Shawn Speakman. I found out that he'd had cancer in the past and beaten it. My thoughts at the time were an odd mingling of confused ("What? You can do that?") and thrilled. ("Yeah! Take that, goddamn cancer!")

When he contacted me in 2011 and told me that he'd gotten a new cancer. It's hard to describe how I felt. "Pissed off" sums it up fairly well. But there was also a sense of unfairness to it all. Nobody should have to deal with that shit twice.

When I asked for details, I was glad to hear that it was very treatable. Very beatable. I think I said something like, "Damn. That's really awful…. but congrats on getting a really good cancer."

Those of you who have had personal brushes with cancer will understand this statement. The rest of you... probably not so much.

But there was bad news. Shawn couldn't get health insurance because he'd had cancer before. That meant his treatment was probably going to bankrupt him.

When he told me about his plans for an anthology to raise money for his bills, I said I'd be happy to give him a story. It was a no-brainer for me, as it allowed me to, if not spit directly into cancer's eye, then at least to glare at it angrily from across the room.

The fact that other authors have joined this anthology in such numbers shows what good folks sci-fi and fantasy authors are. I have a grudge against cancer. It was an easy choice for me. But a lot of them are merely doing this to help out a friend in a tight spot.

And by buying this book, you've helped too. Thanks for that. You're a good person.

Alright, I've wasted enough of your time here. On to the stories.

Pat Rothfuss, May 2013

* * *

If you'd like to order a copy of unfettered, you can order one directly from Shawn over here.

(There are also links to e-book options on his site)

Or you can order a copy from The Tinker's Packs where I'll sign it, and money will go to Shawn *and* Worldbuilders too...

Later space coyboys...

pat

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unfettered.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michael Thrower And this is coming out in 2013? I'm def gonna get it. Pat, some day you should give lessons to writers trying to become successful. You could make a writer's Ketan. That would be epic. I think of you the same way you think of Peter S. Beagle.

Michael Thrower And so do many other of your fans who strive to become authors. You're awesome.

message 3: by Jerrin (new)

Jerrin Absolutely agree.

message 4: by Kvothe (new) - added it

Kvothe Spring 2013 feels like an eternity! Can't wait.

Michael Thrower Copyright.

message 6: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Super Stoked for this. Just bought a copy!

message 7: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Is there an offical release date for this?

message 8: by Terry (new)

Terry Brooks This week.

Lincoln The Tower did not stay?

message 10: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber You can buy the e-version now on amazon if you really want it.

People who already bought there copies are just waiting for them to show up in the mail was my take. Guess it'll be about three weeks to ship them all, longer for the signed copies.

Hannah I just bought my Kindle version!

message 12: by Jack (new) - added it

Jack Rumbold pat, will the kindle version still work on the baldness?

Garrison Is this not available on Google Play Books?

message 14: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Luu I hope that the Kindle version works on my metabolism and attractiveness, for sure. :)

Garrett Nicolai I have this on my short-fiction list; It current sits at number 3, after I finish Stephen King's Night Shift, and Peter Beagle's The Line Between. Looking forward to it.

message 16: by Corinne (new) - added it

Corinne Barker must be on your resume.

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Eddy I was surprised there was an option to buy an unsigned copy in the Tinkers Packs. Who could turn that down? I certainly couldn't. good luck to Speakman!

Tabitha (Pabkins) Err yeah I'm sold, the forward was an excellent marketing ploy in disguise. You sneak you! Let's all spit in that evil demon's eye!

message 19: by Keith (new)

Keith I think the purpose of a forward is to give an overview of the contents of the book. In the case of an anthology, so that I can decide which story I want to read (first).

message 20: by Craig (new)

Craig Bought my Kindle version a week ago and have read the stories that I'm familiar with. Rothfuss' story is completely brilliant and Brooks' and Brett's are gems too. Thanks for putting this together Shawn. Glad you beat that cancer demon and hopefully this will help you beat the next one too (medical bill demons)!

message 21: by Pyyric (new) - added it

Pyyric I dunno, I'd like to read a book written by Optimus Prime.

message 22: by Char (new)

Char Just started reading Unfettered on Kindle; I would have bought this one to try and help a bit, and then I saw the list of authors! I'm looking forward to a lot of stories by many of my favorite writers, but I put it down to come and let you know how much I loved the "Old Holly" story. Odd maybe, but absolutely wonderful!

message 23: by Eloy (new) - added it

Eloy This anthology features my favorite author, Robert Jordan, and I'm also a big fan of you Pat. If you add to it that by buying it I'm helping a writer beat cancer, it was also a no brainer for me ^^

message 24: by Doris (new) - added it

Doris Can't get this through the my library. Someone want to donate a copy to Douglas County Libraries??? :)

Anthony Snow Your story had an odd topic, an odd flow, and I loved every moment of it. I didn't know what to expect, but I know I wasn't disappointed.

message 26: by C (new) - added it

C Doris, fancy seeing you here, my dear!
I bet we can get ourselves a copy or two. I love that a librarian friend posted her review of the book, which brought me here, then I saw Patrick's review...and had to read that...scroll down and see a co-worker. It's a small world aaaafter alllll!

message 27: by C (new) - added it

C Actually that may be a little trickier than I thought, but let me ask around. :)

message 28: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise I'm going to be sure to at least skim read forewords now :)

message 29: by michael coaughty (new)

michael coaughty I like ur books