Cera's Reviews > The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute of America

The Making of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman

Jan 28, 2009

liked it
Read in December, 2008 , read count: 1

This cross between personal memoir and journalism focuses on Ruhlman attending classes at the Culinary Institute of America in the mid-late 90s. Although about food and cooking, this isn't the sort of book that has recipes in the back; instead it's a look at a lot of different things around the way the CIA trains chefs, including descriptions of classes, arguments about cooking methodology, and interviews with different instructors. I see it as a cross between memoir and journalism because while Ruhlman's own feelings about all of his experiences are a large part of the story, he is explicitly there as a writer who is going to write a book, and thus has access to people & a freedom to ask questions he might not have otherwise been granted.

Ruhlman does a great job portraying the intensity of life in the kitchen, from the first day of culinary training to his experiences as a line cook in one of the CIA restaurants. I came away amazed at the sheer amount of physical labour involved in being a chef.

My one frustration with this book was that Ruhlman didn't really explain who he was before he went to the CIA, so it took me a while to figure out that he went there as a food journalist rather than as a guy who then decided to write about it. The early part of the book was pretty confusing to me due to that lack of understanding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Making of a Chef.