The Book Tart's Reviews > The Mysterious Madam Morpho

The Mysterious Madam Morpho by Delilah S. Dawson

Oct 08, 12

Read in October, 2012

Originally posted on The Book Tart at http://thebooktart.com/new-fiction-re...

Oh how I missed you Sang! If you fell in love with Delilah's storytelling while reading Wicked As They Come and have longed to return to the world of Sang, The Mysterious Madam Morpho is a delicious treat to help alleviate the agony of waiting for the next full length Blud novel Wicked as She Wants next spring. If you have never visited before, this novella is a excellent introduction to the series and for $0.99 it's a title I highly recommend you pick up if you enjoy paranormal romance, fantasy, steampunk or just very creative world building and characters that grab you from the first page.

This book starts out with the couple from the first novel, Criminy and Tish, enjoying an interlude in their wagon when they are interupted by a knock on their door. *giggle* I adore the two of them together and it was wonderful to see them again as they meet Madam Morpho.

I love Imogen, the Mysterious Madam Morpho, she's brave, clever and determined. There was so much to admire about her. She's a scientist and very smart. Imogen hasn't had a nice life. She's been neglected, used and abused and she's run away to Criminy's Clockwork Caravan to excape a miserable past. "She didn't like to think of herself as one of those foolish, tremulous women who needed their hands held through life. In fact, she had elbowed her way through university with more fortitude than all the males in her class, smirking to herself each time one of them had dropped like a dead fly under the pressure..." I loved her feisty spirit and her bravery. She's running from a dark past and Delilah lets Imogen's story unfold in a suspenseful way that kept me intrigued. I immediately cared about Imogen and was rooting for her to find happiness.

There are so many fascinating characters at the circus. The bearded lady, the acrobat twins, the two-headed Bludman, the strong man.... And the clockwork master Metallurgical Zoologist, Mr. Murdoch. Imogen needs him to build her some props for her stage act to she can work in the circus. He's blunt and brilliant and doesn't interact with many people. "I simply do not have time or patience for ridiculous people. Or, really, people at all." But he doesn't find Imogen ridiculous and he lets her get closer to him than he's allowed anyone in a long time. I enjoyed the banter between them and the chemistry. I loved how protective he was of her when he realized she was hiding from something... It's a joy to see them become closer and trust each other with their secrets and explore the connection and heat growing between them by use of some creative experiments. Yum! "I'm not a scientist, Imogen. I'm an artificer." "Meaning?" "Meaning I'm better with my hands than my words." *sigh*

Here are a few more of my favorite lines....

♥ "I don't want you to regret me," he said.

She snorted. "Then don't make me, you fool!"

♥ "You are the most fascinating creature I've ever met that wasn't made out of metal."

I adore Delilah's way with words. It's very visual and poetic. She paints a picture wish her prose and I get caught up in the story. "In her experience of citydom, the clothes were as bright and colorful as possible to combat a dreary life between stone walls." I can visualize the colorful city clothes, the corsets, bustles and long sleeves worn to cover any exposed skin from any Bludmens' possible hunger. This book is full of beautiful descriptions that make it wonderfully easy to see this alternate world in my imagination. Take a journey to Sang and experience the fantastical, sometimes brutal and beautiful world where clockwork monkeys dance and the Mysterious Madam Morpho's butterflies entrance and where two people can connect and trust and find acceptance. I can't wait for more from Delilah S. Dawson and I know I will happily visit Sang again and again.

(((hugs))) Kat

The Queen of Tarts

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Madam Morpho.