JoAnne's Reviews > The Inheritance of Loss

The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai

Aug 09, 07

Recommended for: nobody
Read in July, 2007

** spoiler alert ** i have only read half of this book, so perhaps i shouldn't rate it. but i want to warn other people away from it!

the author is obviously an intelligent writer, and she has a real mastery of language. much of the writing is somberly poetic. but perhaps she pays too much attention to detail..... the story is slow.....

i read up to the part where the judge returns from england and rapes his wife after she steals his powder puff, and i threw the book down in disgust.

it's not just what happens, but how the author writes. the rape scene really made my skin crawl. her description was vulgar. i'm crossing my legs and curling up into a ball just thinking about it.

most of the characters are selfish and cynical, if not downright mean. the ones who aren't get treated badly. the environment is moldy and decaying. i felt like taking a shower after reading passages from this book.

other reviewers said that the glorious and brilliant thing about this book is the mood the author creates. if you want to read a book with mood, then go for it. she is a genius at creating the most depressing mood you can imagine.
32 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inheritance of Loss.

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Did you know this is the book that three separate people were complaining about at book group? Guess I'm not adding it to my list!

message 2: by Yas (new) - added it

Yas I think you should have added a spoiler warning seeing as your talking about certain elements of the story that I may have wanted to find out for myself. Thanks. Its located in the review box, hardly hard to tick.

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I don't know you but I did want to put in a word of encouragement after I read this comment thread. Personally, I am grateful for this review. I was considering reading this but it just fell many rungs on my list.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Oct 21, 2010 09:54AM) (new)

Rachel I don't think a husband raping his wife is a spoiler ... what does it really change about anything? But ... I guess you could change it to (something like) "I read up to the part where there a man rapes his wife, after she steals a powder puff, and I threw the book down in disgust." Then ... a future reader would have no idea which characters would be involved in the incident. In a book with lots of characters, I just can't imagine this being a plot spoiler.

BTW, Kiran, I like the way your original sentence is written, much better than mine! And I personally don't think it's much of a spoiler as is. But my point is that you could edit it to leave out the details of "judge" and "coming back from england" so that the future reader would have no clues at all.

Siggy I would perservere people. This is a wonderful book!

Irene B. needs a spoiler message. Also need to give the book more time.....it contains a lot to think about.

Joann Layton I agree that showering after reading is appropriate. I am 2/3 through this book and I don't like any of the characters but I am compelled to finish it.

mohammad Hawatky you are the man
nice comment