Michael's Reviews > Great Expectations

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Jan 14, 09

Read in January, 1995

This book should be renamed "Unrealized Expectations". It's hard to live up to the hype with a title like "Great Expectations". I chose this book to read for a book report assignment in high school. Unfortunately, my choice was based on my fondness of "A Christmas Carol", also by Charles Dickens. Little did I know that the book is longer than the Bible and was not very engaging in any way. The only reason I rated this with two stars instead of one is because it's a classic (whatever that's supposed to mean).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Expectations.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eliece (new)

Eliece I concur Micheal -- boring book, although there are some interesting characters in it. Melissa was in the musical once and it was boring too. The people who like pride and predjudice might like it!

message 2: by Janell (last edited Jan 16, 2009 11:11AM) (new)

Janell I'm almost afraid to admit that I LIKED Great Expectations.

message 3: by Eliece (new)

Eliece see-- people who like pride and prejudice will also like great expectations!

Michael Ryan wrote: "Longer than the Bible?! Ha! There are books much longer than this out there? I don't think you liked it because your brain isn't big enough yet to digest a Dickens novel."

If you want to make unsubstantiated personal attacks against people you don't even know, Goodreads is not the place for you. Go find a fantasy sports smack board on which to inflict your "genius". If, however, you are interested in posting your thoughts ABOUT A BOOK then I welcome your comments.

Melanie Evans Couldn't agree with tis review more!