bookczuk's Reviews > Quite a Year for Plums

Quite a Year for Plums by Bailey White

Jan 14, 09

bookshelves: couldn-t-even-finish, a-favorite-author
Read in January, 2006

I'm a huge fan of Bailey White- She of the quavery voice, lunatic mother and great stories. So, way back in 1998, when she came out with her first novel, I was delighted. Then I got the novel, and the delight turned to disappointment. It wasn't that I disliked it a little-- I couldn't even finish it. Nuh-uh. No go. Sorry.

I gave my copy away.

Since then, I have studiously avoided picking it up at book sales and Goodwill when I see it. Now Mama Makes Up Her Mind or Sleeping at the Starlight Motel I'll snag in a skinny minute. But not this. So when bumma offered to buy it for me at the Trident Lit Book Sale, I declined. Imagine my surprise when she came trundling home with it herself. Sigh.

Yesterday morning, the book appeared on the stairs going up to our room, the usual place where bumma leaves a book for me to check out.

"Bumma, I've read this. No thanks."

"Well, I know you have her two other books, so why don't you take it anyway, to keep with them?"

(Because I really didn't like the frippin' book, I think to myself.)

"No thanks bumma. It's not one I want."

"Why don't you donate it to BookCrossing then?"

"Well, you could do the same thing, bumma."

She shudders. "No. I'd have to say something bad about it."

So, I have the book. It's up to me to say that she disliked it so much she didn't even want to BookCross it. I get to be the bad guy. Hmph.

I'm sure out there is someone who will love and adore this book. Just not in this household. I love and adore Bailey White--just not this book.

What the Publishers said about it:
FROM THE PUBLISHER
In her debut novel, National Public Radio commentator and short-story author Bailey White introduces her readers to the cheerfully eccentric yet lovable inhabitants of a sleepy town in southern Georgia. The novel centers around serious, studious Roger, a peanut pathologist studying the effects of Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus on the local cash crop. Since his wife, Ethel, left him for a goateed guitar player, Roger has become the unlikely love object of half the town's eligible bachelorettes. But when Roger falls for Della, a "flighty" bird artist with an aversion to her material possessions, his infatuation engenders the mother-hen-like concern of Hilma and Meade, retired schoolteachers who share his horticultural enthusiasms. Meanwhile, Ethel's mother, Louise, has moved in with a vacationing typographer whose impassioned diatribes against the disappearance of the classic typefaces fit neatly into her own wacky attempts to attract the attention of erotically charged space aliens. Reminiscent of the stories of Eudora Welty and Fannie Flagg Quite a Year for Plums amply demonstrates why Bailey White has been called a national treasure.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quite a Year for Plums.