Brian's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Oct 08, 2012

I listened to this as an audiobook on a long road trip about two years ago, and found myself skipping gas stops and bathroom breaks because I was too interested in what happened next. McDougall tells a riveting story about runners and running that manages to also be a sort of ethnography and treatise on one specific, but significant, circuit of human evolution. A lot of the runners McDougall writes about seem crazy to me, but they are a kind of committed, overachieving crazy, and that makes for some colorful drama and storytelling.

This book encouraged me take up running, an activity I used to loathe unless it happened on a basketball court. It also pushed me to switch to trail shoes, and to change entirely the mechanics of my running form. Hell, it even led, more or less, to me reading Scott Jurek's book, "Eat and Run," and to undertake a year of eating vegan, despite my strong antipathy towards most vegan culture. I can't really say there have been many books that have had such a direct impact on my life. I've since struck up conversations with quite a few other people who read the book and found it really impacted them as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.