All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Renegade

Renegade by Amy Carol Reeves

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

The Ripper is still on the loose in RENEGADE, the second book in the increasingly ominous Ripper series. The creepiness factor of Max (aka the Ripper) is at an all time high as he stalks Arabella. The mind games Max sadistically plays by subtly threatening her family put him at the top of the list of disturbing bad guys in urban fantasy.

Along with the mental and physical danger Arabella is in, she also contends with rampant dark visions of the future. The imagery in these visions is very frightening and only adds to the foreboding atmosphere that oozes out of RENEGADE. There was also more detail about what she went through with her mother’s death which we only got a taste of in RIPPER.

Since Arabella is a woman ahead of her time with a strong independent streak, I was surprised by her reaction to William in RENEGADE. While a touch of romance is not at all an odd thing for a strong woman, Arabella seems to lose all reason and strength when it comes to dealing with Will. I was appalled by William’s downward spiral and his actions later in the book, and let down by Arabella’s lack of intelligence when it came to their relationship. The bigger focus on this lackluster romance was tedious and really unnecessary to the far more exciting Ripper plot.

While the romance was the real casualty, RENEGADE delivers a solid blend of gothic mystery with paranormal elements and a delightful sense of foreboding . With the Ripper still on the lose, I am eagerly anticipating the next book in the Ripper series.

Sexual Content: kissing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Renegade.