Ledys's Reviews > An Assembly Such as This

An Assembly Such as This by Pamela Aidan

U 50x66
Jan 31, 2009

bookshelves: read-in-2009

I had been hesitant (read 'reluctant') to read spinoffs of any of the Jane Austen novels, but for some reason I picked this one up and I was not at all disappointed by the first installment (there are three in the series).
It was great to read the familiar events from Darcy's point of view, even though I found myself missing Elizabeth's voice. Aidan paints a very sympathetic, likable Darcy. I have always liked Darcy, regardless, but her Darcy is a little more "approachable" than we are used to, I think, younger-sounding, maybe? Still, he remains Darcy, and it is fun, fun, to watch him sparr with Elizabeth.
Aidan adds new characters, my favorite of which is Fletcher, Darcy's valet. I am looking forward to reading more about him.
The only thing that put me off (and it was minor enough to merit a five star rating still) was her use of the word "electrify" which, for some reason, jarred me out of her narrative voice. Electrify, in a regency novel? I don't think so! Other than that, I was totally engrossed by it. I think Austen fans will not be disappointed.

(And, did I mention that this project started out in an online fanfiction site? It was awesome!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Assembly Such as This.

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Thank you for this review! I can't wait to read it. :)

Ledys I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I'll be looking forward to your comments!! (Hugs for you and the girls :-) )