Sam's Reviews > Bulletproof Faith: A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians

Bulletproof Faith by Candace Chellew-Hodge

May 28, 09

bookshelves: living, non-fiction, religion
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

I found this a useful read for framing the dichotomy of needing to converse with people who are 'one the other side' but also to know when your conversation is fruitless and to break it off. As an Episcopalian its something I strive to learn and Chellew-Hodge breaks this down in some helpful ways.

However, there is one notion she presents that makes me reluctant to recommend this book to other Episcopalians, queer and straight alike. On page 105 she says "A theology based on just Scripture, tradition, and reason is a theology empty of the Holy Spirit, who brings the experience of God into our lives." That three-legged stool analogy is one central to the Episcopal tradition, and I don't know of anyone who would say that "reason" is devoid of "experience" which is the 'fourth leg' she adds. For me, reason is the incarnation of experience with the coupling of education and the world outside myself. As a lesbian in a liberal denomination (albeit not one without controversy over this issue) her notion that we are devoid of the Holy Spirit offends me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bulletproof Faith.