All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Renegade

Renegade by Nancy Northcott

Nov 17, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kristina

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

RENEGADE is an engaging book with complex characters and a thrilling plot set in a world of mages and ghouls. I feared becoming lost and confused throughout the story when the first scene pretty much drops you right into the action but with such concise and detailed writing explaining the world as I went along at a steady pace I was able to easily get the hang of everything. The ongoing conflict between mages and ghouls was fascinating. I was especially intrigued by the way the ghouls attack and infect others with venom, and I am looking forward to learning more about these shockingly intelligent creatures in other books.

While the conflict between the mages and ghouls would have been great to read about in itself, the growing trust and bond between Griffin and Valeria was just as enticing and enjoyable. Both Griffin and Valeria worked so well together even from their first encounter as enemies. Both were equally heroic and I admired how protective they were of other mages and non-mages even when it risked their own livelihood. Griffin is almost recklessly heroic in his attempts to get his name cleared by rescuing the very person hunting him. I loved Griffin from the start with the way he patiently takes care of Valeria and gets her to understand his situation.

RENEGADE is a wonderful thriller mixed with a little mystery, a touch of magic, and a dash of a steamy romance. I am looking forward to what happens next in The Protectors Series. The next book, GUARDIAN is scheduled to be released in May of 2013.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Renegade.