Nevermore's Reviews > Revamp

Oct 30, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Read from October 08 to 13, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The saddest, creepiest thing about this novel is contained in the note Em leaves after raiding a house in LA: Girl etc. It says everything to me about the author and the main character. She is twenty one for crying out loud! She has finished her university degree! In psychology no less (groan). She pats herself on the back several times in the novel for her analytic view of other people because of her degree--why, oh why can't she turn that trained eye onto herself? How pathetic that a character meant to be feisty, independent, tough from a tough childhood sees herself at twenty one as a girl. Even sadder that she can't refer to herself in first person. Or sign her name. All part of the refusal to grow up?

Admittedly not a vampire story fan but leaving that aside, I am halfway through and the only behaviour the main character has shown so far is cover my eyes, cover my ears, I can't see it or hear it so the monster isn't under the bed or in the closet.

The plot is not comprehensible. She lands in a deserted LA airport (except for some baddies roaming around including a bizarre encounter with the most perverted customs inspector one could hope to find), goes into a house after witnessing a woman get her head pecked by a crow, nearly dies after a floor warping/carpet eating narrow escape. And then goes whistling down the street (metaphorically speaking) for more. Oh no, says she, there's not much wrong with this scene. In short, she is a total moron. Gee, gotta call my mom so she can write her test. Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

I did finish it. But kept looking down at the progress bar hoping that it would be the end. And in the end, what the author needed was a decent editor or honest friends. Just about anybody with a red pen would do. She can write but alas, without a plot that at least pretends to make sense if only within the parameters of the made up world it is supposed to occur in and without a good polishing of the very rough characters she presents, I don't see any more stars in her future from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revamp.