Chelsey's Reviews > Ironskin

6209040
Oct 08, 2012

liked it
Read in October, 2012

Jane Eliot has just received the new position of governess at Silver Birch Hall. Jane wears an iron mask to cover up the fey curse that she was once marked with. The mask keeps the curse contained within the body of the carrier and prevents others from catching it. I loved the world building in this novel. Connolly constructs a world were a Great War has just come to a close and a majority of people are left with a fey curse that they will carry for eternity. I feel like this war could easily parallel the great World Wars of Europe any day. This world was beautifully and enchantingly written. As I read I felt like everything was growing dark and grey around me.

The relationship foretold between Jane and Dorie was the most interesting while reading this book. Dorie was a product of the Great War, meaning that she was born right in the depth of the fighting. She does not carry a scar or wear a mask like Jane, but she is cursed by the fey as well. Jane’s task with Dorie is to force her in some way or another to learn to use her hands. Dorie has a tendency to use her mind to move all objects, making life easier for herself. How cool is that? I loved reading about Jane’s struggles with this task because little Dorie definitely has a mind of her own. Some of the working staff in the manor even claimed that she was evil. I could even sense her moodiness at times. And like any other child, she had to warm up to Jane.

I did become bored with this book by the middle. The background information and the insight into the manor, grounds, and the main and secondary characters were of course fantastic; however, the author lost me once the action started to occur. I felt like Jane focused too much on Dorie at times when she could have been exploring or taking readers on an alternate adventure. I was bored with her interactions with Dorie by then because I felt like they were just repeating over and over. I like Dorie, please don’t get me wrong, but I was ready for a different angle by the middle of the book.

This book was a mixture of Jane Eyre and Beauty and the Beast. I thought that this book was dark enough and enchanting enough to retell either of those stories beautifully, but it sometimes fell flat in those areas as well. I was expecting Mr. Rochart’s secret to be enormous and I must say that I was a little disappointed by the time we started to reach the rising action of the book.

The setting of the book had me from the first page and the characters and their background stories were wonderfully enriched. I just wanted something more to hold onto by the time I reached the middle of the book. I would not and will not throw this book under the bus entirely because there were parts of it that I loved. This book will set on my bookshelf proudly and just because parts of it did not work for me that does not mean that they will not work for others.

***A copy of this book was provided to me by the publishers at Tor Books in exchange for an honest review***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironskin.